Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Pesky Communications

For those who do not know, communication is a BIG issue in the North.  It took me over 8 hours to upload a 35 mb file onto an FTP site.  With constant communication problems, it is a wonder businesses function up here.  Cell phones drop calls and we see it as normal.  Mind you, it is nice to be able to ignore an incoming call from someone and they think it may be the network, knowing the area.  What is a joke is the data packages on cell phones.  I was once looking for a recipe on the phone while at the grocery store so I could get the right ingredients.  It took over 15 minutes to load.  Bell has promised 4G up here for a while, but nothing yet.  The real problem with the internet is that it all goes through the satellite dishes, hopefully they finally connect to the fibre optic cables running along the ocean floor. One day it will happen... We can all dream...  

1 comment:

  1. The day a stable communications network gets established in Iqaluit I will be an old woman…or at least be 20 yrs older!

    ReplyDelete